Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Day Finally Reached!


It took me awhile to put this post on this blog.  The moments in this video are very personal and special to our family.  However, it is a time and event in our lives that will never be forgotten.



We were so blessed as parents to have Tavin join our family.  He has been a joy and a strength to us from the moment we first held him in our arms.  I remember laying in my hospital bed hours after he was born, looking at my little son in his bassinet beside me.  They say babies can’t see well when they are first born but I disagree with that.  As we both laid there in the silence of our room, Tavin would look into my eyes with this quizzical look on his face.  Then he would begin to whimper.  I would quickly pick him up and he would snuggle in and was as happy as could be.  After he was settled I would lay him back in his bassinet.  Immediately his eyes would open, he would study me with the same “brain-whirling” look on his face, and start whimpering again.  I would once again pick him up, he would snuggle, and settle in just the way he wanted it.  After a few times of this occurring, I realized … he has it figured out!  He’s only hours old but he has me figured out already!

Tavin holds a special place in our family as our only son and only brother.  And he has played both roles amazingly.  The day of his mission call was a day we dreamed of for years.  It had always been Tavin’s goal to serve a mission and we were so proud that he worked his way towards that goal throughout his life.  We knew Tavin leaving would be hard, but we also knew that there was no other place we would want him to be at this time in his life but on a mission.

When the day came for us to drop Elder Fox off at the MTC, I can’t put into words all the emotions that came with that experience.  As a parent, if was the hardest thing I had ever done in my life.  Each of my children hold a special place in my heart.  When our son walked away from us, it was as though that part of my heart was ripped out and a hole was left in his place.  I don’t know how else to explain it but that it was this intense “missing feeling” that I don’t think will ever totally go away until he comes back home.  With that said, as much as it hurts to have him gone and not with us for two years, it would hurt even worse to have him not go.  The Lord requires hard things from us at times and from those hard things comes blessings.  I know our family, and especially our son, will be blessed beyond measure for his willingness to give back and serve with all he has for the next little while.  It may seem long right now, but in the entire scheme of things … it’s just a short moment in time.

Until Elder Fox is home with us again, we will hold on to all the fun memories we had together, all the late night talks, all the laughter, and enjoy sharing his mission experience with him.  We love you Tavin!

No comments:

Post a Comment