Monday, May 2, 2011

It's My First P-Day!

(Email received May 2nd, 2011)

HEY!!!!!

So … I guess I can do emails here on my P-days which are on Mondays. I get half an hour on the computer and there’s a timer so once that time is up … I get kicked off. I don’t think I can have everyone in the family email me because it will be hard to reply to everyone if they are really really long emails. There’s a way to print out the emails and pause time and log off, so that way I can just read them and not waste my allotted time. I just have to figure out how to do that. Don’t worry. It’s not against the rules or cheating. Our branch president told us about it.

Anyways, I’ve found out there is quite a bit more to being District Leader than just getting mail. (I’m not sure if you got my letter or not yet, because I haven’t heard back. Of course, its only been a couple days. Haha)

So how are you guys? What’s everyone been up to? Yesterday was Fast Sunday and those are kind of rough. It wasn’t bad at all during the meetings, firesides and conferences … but personal study time was rough. However, it was an awesome Sunday. The talks were really good and we got to go on a temple walk, like we do every Sunday. That was great. Not only getting up to the temple and feeling the spirit, but it was nice to get out of our little MTC bubble of being either in a small classroom or the cafeteria. That’s where we are pretty much all day except gym time which is AWESOME! I took a bunch of pictures with my companion, Elder Tarbet, my District, and my Zone Leaders. They are all way cool. Once I figure out how, I’ll make sure to send some pictures home to you guys.

It was snowing here on Saturday, which was kind of crazy, going from beautiful weather to snow. We woke up to a blanket of snow and it continued snowing throughout the morning. It was all melted by noon but then it started snowing again in the afternoon. I dragged Elder Downer (my companion) outside because I wanted to stand in it. He being from Provo, wasn't too excited but I thought it was cool. It was short lived though, because it got cold really quick. I was wearing my short sleeve dress shirt which doesn‘t do well for cold weather.

Like I said earlier, today is our P-day. Luckily, we got to go to the temple. We had to be up there by 6:50 a.m. so it was kind of early but well worth it. It was amazing getting up there. Elder Downer and I went and did initiatory work which was neat since this time I was able to just sit back and listen to it all instead of being a little stressed and confused. Haha.

Portuguese is coming along nicely. I’m amazed at how much I’ve learned in just 5 days. Our teachers are great and so are their lessons. The big thing I’m having a hard time with is the advice I got from some of the Elders that have been here longer. They said when you’re learning the language, don’t do it where you hear the word in Portuguese and then translate it back to English. They said that slows you down in a conversation so basically instead of "a igreja" being the gospel … "a igreja" is a igreja. That's a hard mind set to try and get in but I’m working on it. We all try and speak as much Portuguese to each other as we can to help work on that concept. But it's coming along. It’s kind of funny when our teachers speak in English to us, because I sometimes forget they can even speak that. We are completely immersed in the language. Now I know how Brittin felt in kindergarten. Only she was 5 years old so I’m not really sure if it compares.

Well, I love you guys but I’m getting low on time. The clock is flashing and the computer keeps yelling at me … reminding me how much time I have left so I’ll write again next week. Tchau!

Love,
Elder Fox

P.S. - Katie wrote me using dear elder and didn’t give me a return address so if you ever talk to her let her know that. Also, I left my water filtration bottles at home. That’s another thing I forgot, along with a casual belt. I’m not sure if I told you that already.

P.S.S. - The Nerf guns are a big hit!!! Haha

No comments:

Post a Comment