Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I Think I Can and Other Brave Thoughts




















Dear Family,

How is everyone? Hopefully good. Sounds like you all had a great time with the Clarkes … without me : ( haha. I’m glad to hear you had fun and it was good to hear all about the stuff you did. Papa didn’t eat it on the quad again like last time the whole family was up there right? I love it up there. It’s so pretty. I’m so bummed I missed getting to see the Aussies. I love those guys! They’re so much fun! And … I only missed them by two months. I did get to see Sandy one last time before I left so that was sweet.

To answer your question about if we work with the lady we baptized still … yes we do. The mission is a lot different here than in Henderson. Back home, missionaries only work with investigators. They said once they are baptized, it’s the wards job … same with less-actives. Here we do everything. New member lessons, less-actives and investigators. Our Bishop sent us on what the missionaries call a “Mass Rescue Mission”. Basically what we do is get a HUGE list of all less-active members in our ward boundary, which is huge, and we have to go to all of them. It‘s hard because we walk everywhere, it takes us forever, and it takes away from teaching investigators. From this whole huge list, we got one family to talk to. Haha But hey, we’ll bring them back and the children aren’t baptized so some good came out of it. But seriously … isn’t that what the gospel is all about? Each person is individually important to our Heavenly Father. We are all his children and he wants each one of us back home with him. Sooo … if we only helped one family … we did what we needed to do.

One house that we went to, the guy joined this other church where they worship spirits. It’s some African church. The way they learn is one person gets possessed by spirits and they ask questions to him, and there are drums and stuff like that playing. When we went to his house and clapped, the person who answered said he can’t come talk right now because “he’s in touch with spirits”. So he was the one being possessed. Interesting huh? Haha

So this week it was our goal to go extra hard and blow our numbers out of the water. And, well … it was probably one of our worst weeks we had. We had one day with tons of lessons … another with our usual amount, maybe a little more … and then all the other days were rough. Our appointments fell through, all the other people we wanted to teach weren’t home, and … it was a hard week. And weird too because we have never had days like these before. Oh well, I’m not going to get discouraged. These are learning experiences and experiences to practice patience. We are not giving up! We’re trying for it again this week so hopefully we can do it!!!

Well I have to get going. I love you guys so much and I hope you’re all having a good time! I miss you guys!!

Love,

Tavin

PS - If you guys want to look at my apartment on Google Earth … the street address is ….

No comments:

Post a Comment