Monday, August 1, 2011

"Ding-Dong-Ditching" in Brazil

(Mauricio, Elder Fox, and Elder Henrique)


(Awhile back Tavin wrote about a P-Day trip he took to a building where they could see all of Sao Paulo.)


(Sao Paulo is so beautiful.  I love all the colors!)
 Hey!!!

How’s everyone doing??? I sent the tape to you guys so be keeping an eye out for it.  Oh … and I put a cd with my pictures in it too and explained the pictures in the tape.  Guess what the grand total of my package was.  Just to send a cd and a tiny cassette tape home … R$65!!!  Seriously, this thing is small too.  Oh well.  Hopefully you guys will like it.

That’s awesome your missionary right now is from Brazil!!!  What part?  Yes … the reason we clap at houses is because every house has a gate around it and you can’t really knock on a gate.  Lol  Nobody has air conditioning here - correction - nobody needs air conditioning here, you just open windows.  Typically windows are always open and they can hear us clapping.  It’s very easy to accidentally “ding dong ditch” a house here too.  We were walking down the street and Elder Henrique tripped over something.  So just joking with him, I started to applaud.  A couple people stuck their heads out their windows.  Haha  Now I know not to do that.

Brittin’s got band camp … HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And be prepared to lose your social life during the day.  It probably won’t be as bad for you as it was for me because you don’t have football practice, before and after, late into the night.  I was down at the school at 6 a.m. and didn’t get home until 9-10 p.m.  So count your blessings!

Belle … you've got a baptism coming up!!!!  That’s so cool!!  Are you excited?  I better hear all about it.  You guys should video tape it for me.  Haha

Things are going great with me.  I have no idea how long I’ll be here in this area. It will for sure be another month and a half.  Transfers are a month and a half but for the training program they have, we are with our trainer for 2 transfers so 3 months.  Next week is the end of my first transfer so I’ll stay with Elder Henrique.  After that … who knows.  Elder Henrique thinks he'll get transferred since he's spent 4 months in this area already.  Typically they don’t transfer both missionaries at the same time unless they have to.  I’m thinking I’ll be here for at least 3 months more.  Elder Henrique was saying usually you’ll spend 2 transfers with a companion as long as you’re not needed elsewhere or not fighting.  There’s a chance that by the end of my time here I’ll have been in this ward for 6 months.  I’ll leave just after Christmas, but I have no idea.  Maybe Elder Henrique will be a trainer again and I’ll leave.  You never know.

To write our emails home and to our President, we go to a public lan house where we pay and use the computers.  It’s R$2 so not that bad.

Our teaching pool is going good.  We’ve got lots of people to teach.  This last week was pretty frustrating because we got bailed on tons!!  A lot of times it seemed that the people were typically on the edges of our area.  We'd walk about an hour to get there and then they weren’t home or didn’t have time and then we'd have to walk anywhere from half an hour to an hour to get to another investigator’s house.  We would waste about 2 hours.  Kind of frustrating.  And everything is so hilly here.  You can reach straight out in front of you while you’re walking and touch the road.  Cars can barely make it up some roads.  Lol  But, ya, we’re teaching a lot.  It’s funny too how we receive some of our references.  Americans, although we have a disadvantage with the language, have a huge advantage over the Brazilian missionaries in the fact that we can speak English.  Saturday night for example, we were walking and this guys shouted, "Elders!"  So we stopped and he came running over to us and he could speak English.  Whenever someone here can speak English, they love speaking it.  They know that a lot of the missionaries are Americans so they stop us to talk.  So this guy that stopped us, I talked with for a bit and then asked if we could come by and teach him our message.  He said, “Of course!” and gave us his address and phone number.  He’s way cool!  That’s happened to me a couple times.  We also receive tons of referrals from this guy … Jaimee (not sure how to spell his name).  Everybody knows this guy.  He’s so nice and willing to help everyone.  We had some investigators at an activity once and one of them was looking for work.  Jaimee asked her what she wants to do and said he knows a bunch of people in that career and will talk to them.  He’s been in the newspaper too and … basically … he’s awesome!  He always talks to people about the church and since he’s so nice, everyone is interested.  He brings someone new to church every week.  Yesterday he brought Rodrigo and he’s so cool.  Seems kind of rough because his eye brow is pierced and he has tattoos but he is so nice and so cool.  It was his first time at church and he had never been taught about the gospel before.  The Gospel Principles lesson was on the Word of Wisdom.  I was thinking, “This could be bad.” but he loved it!  And he loved how it was taught.  I asked him if he had any questions or anything and he said, “No.  It was well explained and it actually makes sense too.”  So cool!!!

Well, I have to get running.  I love you guys so much!!!  I hope everyone is doing good!!!  I miss you guys!

Love,
Tavin

P.S. - You said “Hi from humid Henderson“.  Sorry Mom … but I don’t think you can complain about that to me.  hahahaha  Love ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment