Saturday, December 3, 2011

Leapin' Lizards!

Dear Family,

Hey everyone!  How’s it going?  Hopefully good!  Man … today it’s raining like crazy!  I swear Satan controls the weather.  Haha  When we’re just home relaxing … nothing.  When we have to leave to do emails or to teach … it starts raining like crazy.  When we got home I was soaked and pretty cold too.  Our house, not having a heater, was not too much of a help.  We just used a “Missionary Improv Heater”.  I don’t know if I’ve told you guys about this yet, but what you do to get all nice and toasty … get a pot and fill it with rubbing alcohol.  Once you have a good bit of fluid, toss a match in and get all nice and warm.  After that, I took a nice shower.  By nice I mean scorching hot since there are only three settings.  Super hot, medium, and not heated at all.  You get used to the super melt-your-skin-off-hot though after awhile.  Especially when it’s cold.  These shower heaters are a pretty good idea if someone was able to make it so there are more then three settings.  With them, you never run out of hot water like at home.  Also, the life span isn’t too long and once it gets old there are two settings … luke warm and ice.

The other day I went to lay down on my hammock, which I leave hanging on the wall ... both loops on one hook.  I hung it up on the other hook so I could lay down.  It was dark, no lights on, and I noticed a long thin thing hanging off the top of the hammock.  I thought it was part of the netting that it has hanging down on both sides.  I laid down and suddenly the “string” moved and something jumped on my leg.  There was a lizard about a foot long sleeping on my hammock!  It freaked the crap out of me!  He jumped off and ran and hid.  So … ya … we have a pet.  I named him Dino like on Flintstones because lizards are like dinosaurs.  He’s a pet like Dino was to Fred and also my companion can pronounce the name.  I haven’t seen him for awhile so I think he might have run away from home.  I’m kind of bummed if he did.

Last Monday we were teaching a family and at the start I got the thought to challenge them.  (We had not even started teaching yet when I got the thought.)  When we were going to start, my companion asked for the model of the Plan of Salvation that I have.  I was a little confused but that lesson ended up perfectly.  Right at the end I was explaining about the three Kingdoms of Glory and how you can only have eternal life (eternal life being living with God, Jesus Christ, and our families in a state of happiness for all eternity) in the Celestial Kingdom.  The next thing I know, and without even thinking about what I’m doing, I’ve got my scriptures open to 2nd Nephi 31.  I start teaching how baptism by someone who ACTUALLY holds authority, like Christ’s baptism, is the start of the “straight and narrow path which leads to eternal life” (2nd Nephi 31:18).  It is crazy because I wasn’t even thinking about what I was doing.  I was just going with what I felt.  They accepted a date for December 3rd so fingers crossed.  Of course knowing the mail here, that date could have already passed when you’re reading this.

Well, gotta go!  Love you all so much!  The church is true!

Love,
Tavin

No comments:

Post a Comment