Monday, February 13, 2012

Throwing Away Trash and Missionary Work ... A Good Pair

Itu, Brazil
Hey Guys!

What’s going on with you all?

Peter … PARABEMS!!!!!!!!!  FELIZ ANIVERSARIO!!!!!!  Happy birthday Bro!  I hope it’s a good one!  What do you have planned for it?  Or seeing as it will have already passed when you get back to me, what did you do for it?

I’m doing good down here.  The rains are starting back up again.  We had a bit of sun, but the clouds rolled in and it’s supposed to rain this whole entire week.  On the plus side … it’s not as hot during these days of just rain, so the nights are a lot more pleasant.

About the address of our house … I‘ll send it to you guys next week.  I don’t know what it is, but we have some bills in our house with the address on it, so I can send it to you guys next week.  And last week, mom, you asked if I got your letter you sent, and I forgot to respond to it last week.  Yes I had received it.  It got to me fast!  Yours and Kassie’s letters only took 6 days to make it to me.  That was crazy!  I was blown away at how fast it got here.  I just wish my letters would make it to the States faster.  I sent one to Sandy (in Australia) a while ago, do you know if she’s gotten it yet?

So Britt … how’s track going?  Has the actual season started yet?  Or is it still just intramurals?  I forget when the season starts.  When is your first meet?  Or if it’s already passed … how was it?

This week was pretty good.  Lots of appointments falling through as normal (haha) but some really good days too.  One of the good days involved a family we met.  They were a reference from a member.  Not yesterday, but the Sunday before, she saw some trash on the ground and thought that she should throw it away.  She picked it up and went to the dumpsters that are in front of the chapel, to throw it away.  While in the front, a man stopped her and asked her some stuff about the church.  He said that there’s something missing in his life, but he doesn’t know what it is.  She asked him if she could send two people who represent the church to his house.  He accepted her invitation and gave her his number.  We called him up and set up an appointment.  We went over to the house and they were super receptive!  The two parents sat down and were chit chatting with us and then the dad asked, “Ok!  So if I were to join this church, what would I have to change in my life?”  The plan was to teach him the Restoration, but because of his questions and wanting to know, we taught the Word of Wisdom, Law of Chastity, Tithing, Fasting and Fast Offerings, and the Sabbath Day.  This was the first lesson with them and we taught them all that!!!  Then they asked some more questions that have the responses for it in the Restoration.  We didn’t teach too much of that lesson because they talked a lot which was awesome!  They really opened up to us.  I can’t believe how much they opened up.  They said they told us stuff about their family and stuff that nobody else knows.  Sometimes I think it’s interesting how many people, with barely knowing us, on the first visit just open right up.  Anyways, they are such a good family and this week we’re going over there with a couple in our ward that’s really awesome!  They also promised to go to our activity this week, and church this Sunday.  (Last Sunday they couldn’t because they already had stuff to do.)  When we were teaching the parents, their two daughters arrived, both at different times.  We didn’t need to invite them to participate in the lesson like we normally have to do, they just came in and started listening and asking questions.  They’re such a good family and I hope things work out with them.

Also … about this activity this week … I think it could help the ward a bit if you guys started doing it.  Maybe talk to the missionaries there about it.  This first one me and Elder Costa are putting it on.  After it’ll switch to the other organizations.  It’s called noite da integração (integration night).  It’s a really fun thing to do and it helps the ward and investigators.  The focus of it is to integrate the members more together, and also to integrate the investigators with the members.  Going to an activity is a lot less intimidating for an investigator than church.  At the activity they make friends and want to come to church.  We did it in my last area a lot and it was because of one of those activities, and the spirit he felt and the friendships he made, that one of our investigators there (a teenager) quit his job so he could go to church on Sunday and then started going to seminary without us even inviting him.  It’s just a simple activity and it’s fun too.  You start with a message on whatever topic, but just something simple and short.  Then play some kind of game, eat food (something simple and cheap that some members bring.  It doesn’t have to be anything big or fancy.)  Everyone just chit chats and becomes better friends with the members and members with the investigators.  You don’t even have to have a huge turnout like a ward party.  Just something simple … but it works great!

We have a baptism this weekend!!!  It’s going to be a good one!  He’s such a cool kid.  At church this Sunday it was really funny.  He came up to me and asked, "So are you going to baptize me?"  I told him that he gets to choose who will baptize him.  He said, "Oh.  Ok cool … but … uh … do you know the words to the prayer in Portuguêse?"  I then clued in on what he really meant by the first question but I wanted to have a bit of fun with him and have him ask directly.  So I just responded, “Ya I do.”  He said,  "Oh cool!  Uh … and … you’ll be there at my baptism right?"  My response was, "Of course I’ll be there!  I wouldn’t miss it for the world."  He responded, "Oh.  That’s good then …"  and then said very timidly … "So since you’ll be there and you know how to say the prayer … if you wouldn’t mind … can you baptize me?"  haha  I told him it would be an honor and thanked him.  He had such a look of relief rush over his face, and then a super big smile.

Well, I have to get going now.  My times almost up.  I love you guys so much!  I hope you’re all doing great!!

Love,
Tavin

P.S. - Yes they celebrate something similar to Valentine’s Day … but it’s in June.

P.P.S. - Guess what’s next week is … Carnival!  haha  Hopefully things aren’t too crazy in my little town!

No comments:

Post a Comment