Monday, August 27, 2012

Missionary Life Is On Fire ... Literally!

Dear Family,

Hey!!! How’s everyone? How was the first day of school?? Was it exciting? I always liked the first day of school … getting to see everyone again … getting to see who's in your classes … it was always pretty fun. The first day and the last day are the best days of school! Haha Oh man! My first day of school is going to be way different when I get home. I’ll be off to college. But I still have a year until that’ll come and a whole summer after my mission to worry about that, so no need to even think about it now.

Today I have been out exactly 1 year and 4 months!! Man the time flies!! It’s crazy to think how long it’s been when it seems like I’ve only been here for a little bit. Does it seem that long to you guys? It’s been going by so quick!!


As for that email you got mom … it says:

Hey Sister Fox,

Sorry for writing in Portuguêse, but I don’t write very good in English. I just wanted to say that your son is an excellent missionary. He's really special. All of our ward really liked him. Congratulations! Please, when you talk with your son, say that Sister Fagundes sent a hug and wishes him a lot of success for the rest of his mission. Thank you.

Hugs,
Maria Fagundes
(In Brazil it’s normal to send hugs or kisses so that’s why at the end she put a hug. Usually when people are talking to a friend, at the end when they’re saying goodbye that say hug (abraço) or kiss sometimes too. It’s kind of funny because you know how back home when someone’s talking to someone they say, “Hey, say “hi” to him for me.” Here it’s, “Hey, send him a hug for me.” haha)

That was Sister Fagundes. She’s from Santana, my last area. I really liked her and her family. She was like a mom to me. She was the one, when I was really bummed out the day I found out that Uncle Homer passed away, that comforted me and helped me out a lot. She’s way cool. I for sure want to visit them with you guys!! Go ahead and write her in English. I think she can read English. If not, perhaps her husband can. If he can’t, she can do the same thing you did and send it to her son. Her son is serving in Canada. Also … could you send them a hug for me? Thanks!

No, I didn’t cry when Elder Costa got transferred. I got way bummed out but I didn’t cry. I think it’s mostly cause I know I’ll see him at reunions and stuff so it’s not too sad. I was kind of sad this last transfer because Elder Henrique went home. Saying goodbye to him was hard. But it’s all good.

I have to tell you about our crazy day today!! The lady that lives in the apartment under us, that we’re teaching now, invited us over to eat lunch today. So we went over there to eat with her. While we were there, I noticed a bunch of smoke coming from the kitchen. At first it was really thin so I thought maybe while cooking she burnt something and the smoke is just now coming in. Then the smoke got a lot thicker and I noticed an orange glow on the walls. Suddenly I realized why there was smoke! I quickly said, “Is something on fire?”  She got up to see what it was. I got up and started following her and then I heard her shout so I took off running after her to help. She had left a pan of grease on the stove with the stove lit. It had caught on fire. I was about to run into the hallway and grab a fire extinguisher, but for some reason I couldn’t. It was as if there was something stopping me. Suddenly, she grabbed the pan, put it in the sink (which was right next to the stove), and reached out to turn the water on. I shouted, “No!” but it was too late. However, when she heard my shout, it made her pull her arm away right when the grease and fire exploded. The flames went up sooooo high!!! Because of where I was, I was able to quickly grab her and pulled her out of the kitchen. After that, when I went back into the kitchen, the flames were really small and then died out so I didn’t need to run and grab the extinguisher. She grabbed her fan and we ran upstairs and grabbed ours and we blew the smoke out. We finished eating while the smoke cleared out of the kitchen and then went to see what happened. Nothing else had caught on fire thankfully. However, the ceiling had some black marks on it. The walls did also, but the walls were covered in tile so it just wiped off. But … ya … it was nuts!!

In other news … I may be running the risk of being deported. Haha The visa is only good for one year and you have to renew it. Mine already expired. Once it expires, it’s still fine for us to stay another 90 days waiting. My 90 days run out next week! I don’t know what will happen if my time runs out. Maybe the church can work some kind of deal but as far as I’m concerned, if your visa runs out, you have to get out right? You can’t have people somewhere illegally. Hopefully it all works out in the end.

About that guy that showed up at church … he showed up with no one inviting him or talking to him about the church. He just saw the chapel all the time and thought it was beautiful and got curious, so he researched it. He showed up on Sunday and said that he agrees with our churches standards on tattoos and piercings as well as the Word of Wisdom. He said that he is already basically a member because he’s already living those standards. (That’s very very rare in Brazil. Almost everyone drinks coffee.) We marked a baptismal date with him. Hopefully things will work out. He went two weeks in a row, but yesterday he didn’t go.

Well, I have to get running. I love you guys a ton!! I miss you all loads!! Hope everything is going great and that school is amazing!!

Love,
Tavin

No comments:

Post a Comment