Monday, December 17, 2012

"Ob-la-di Ob-la-da Life Goes On" ... & So Does Missionary Work

"Merry Christmas everyone back home!"

Dear Family

So it’s not so hot anymore here!! The temperature is actually pretty nice. Why? Because it’s been raining non-stop for the past couple of days. haha I got lucky, because it’s been a while since there was a good rain storm. We were just having summer rains, where it would be sunny, then out of no where coming pouring down and then clear out. So we were always able to duck under cover or would just stay a little longer in someone’s house and wait for the rain to pass. The lucky part was that I had left my umbrella in my last area and hadn’t gotten it back yet. I asked the Elders in Trujillo to bring the umbrella to a Zone Conference that we had. They brought it to me and then a little after was when the rains came in. The first day it came out of no where! It was a clear day and then some clouds came in really fast and it started pouring!! Like you guys have seriously never seen a rain storm, cause what we get back home is nothing compared to this. Thankfully we were under cover when it started. A little while later I got a call from an Elder in Trujillo and the first thing he said is, “Hey ... Elder fox?” I said, “Yes.”  He responded, “I HATE YOU!!!!!!! You just had to get the umbrella back now.”  haha  They were using my umbrella before, and neither of them had one, and so they were getting plastered by the rain.  So lucky me for getting it back right before the storms came in and this non-stop rain for the last couple of days.



This last week was a good one. Kind of tough, but good. We found a bunch of new people that seem really good.  The big problem is that a lot of them aren’t married, but living together. It’s a tough one, and a process that takes a while, but maybe we’ll be able to get them married. As for that father and daughter … they fell through. The father didn’t really want anything.  He loved us going and teaching, but he wasn’t going to change.  I don’t know what happened with his daughter. Out of no where she just wouldn’t talk to us anymore. We went to her house and she was out front again and she sat down and we chit chatted a bit.  Then she said, “I’ll go get chairs for you guys.”  (Just like she did the first time we went there.  We just stayed out front and sat on some chairs.) She went in and we waited, and waited, and waited and nothing. Her dad went in to see what was taking so long and she said she wasn’t coming out. He told us to go and talk to her so we went up to the door and called to her.  She wouldn’t come to the door but just talked to us from there.  She said she was hurting and couldn’t talk to us that day.  (She had hurt her leg earlier.)  We asked if we could come back the next day.  She said yes.  The next day we did a division, so I took off to another area and Elder Jubette went there with Elder Moreno (he’s from Argentina), and she didn’t want anything anymore.  So, ya, there goes that one.  I think someone might have said something bad about "the Mormons" or she had some kind of problem in the family and that’s why all this happened.  Part of missionary work is “planting that seed“.  Who knows what will happen down the road.

We’re going to have a baptism tomorrow.  I know … a baptism on Tuesday?  haha  Our investigator wanted it on Tuesday.  I‘m not sure why, but she did, so we’re going to baptize her tomorrow!!  We met her doing contacts.  President Martins was having us do 15 contacts a day and now we’re doing 30 per day.  It’s a lot of contacts, but it’s cool because you talk to people you normally wouldn’t talk to.  When we were doing 15, you would pick and choose.  Now you just go out and talk to everyone!!  She was painting in the park.  I think I already talked about when we talked to them and sent a picture of the first contact.  It was cool because our approach was really different with them.  Instead of throwing a message at them, we just started talking.  At church, she was explaining to some people how her first contact with the church was.  It‘s kind of funny, and way different, but this is what she said … from her perspective.  She said, "So I was at the park painting with a friend of mine and we were doing a painting of a bunch of things that I like.”  (One of those things being the Beatles.  There was a big painting with the Beatles in the middle.)  “Out of no where, I hear a voice from over my shoulder saying, ‘The Beatles! I like them.  This is a really good painting!  Congrats.’  I turned around and saw Elder Fox and Elder Jubette.  We chit chatted a bit and they asked if they could sit down with us.  They asked us about how we did some painting stuff and we got chatting.  Then we asked them what is it that they do and they explained it and told us about the book of Mormon.  I accepted them to come and visit, and now I’m here."  It’s kind of funny to think that the first thing she heard from the two people who represent the church and preach the gospel was "Os Beatles" (the Beatles) and now she’s getting baptized.  My liking of the Beatles, helped someone get to know the gospel.  haha  It makes me think what would have happened if we had approached them a different way.  For instance, if we showed up already talking about the church … would it have gone differently?  I’m sure the fact that nothing else came to my mind to say, other than “Os Beatles”, was a blessing from the Lord and help from the Holy Ghost.  She even commented on how she liked our approach and it made her feel a little more comfortable with us.  She realized right away that we were just normal guys who left our homes, to share something we were really excited about.  She just knew we must have a really important message if we were willing to do that.  And we did!  We are there to share the truthfulness of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  She’s funny too.  She asked me to baptize her.  Why?  Because I’m bigger and stronger than Elder Jubette and so it’ll be more safe with me because she for sure won’t drown.  She had chosen Elder Jubette, but when she saw the font and where the water would go up to, she changed her mind.  haha  I reassured her that Elder Jubette would be able to baptize her without drowning her but she didn’t want to change her mind.

Today is the day we find out about transfers.  I already know Elder Jubette is going to be transferred.  He’s been here forever and the email he got from President Martins was thanking him for his service as a Zone Leader and telling him of his confidence in him in a normal area.  I’ll more than likely get a new companion on Wednesday.

About the call on Christmas … what time would be good for me to call?  What time would give you guys enough time to get everyone ready, eat, and open stocking gifts?  10 ish?  I finally found a house that the family is going to stay for Christmas, so we’re going to call from there.  Just let me know the time to call.

Well, I gotta run.  I love you guys tons!!!  Have a good week before Christmas!!!  In 8 days I’ll give you guys a call!!!!!!!  YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!  I love you all tons!!

Love,
Tavin

No comments:

Post a Comment